Snarky Behavior

Question for Those in DC

September 16, 2008 · 7 Comments

We all know somebody who works in government who is probably vastly under-qualified for what they do.  Or we’ve at least met someone who works in government for some obscure program, in which you respond “wait… that’s tax-payer funded???

My question is:  does that make you less inclined to support government in theory and/or in practice?  Or does it come with the territory, as in you have a “can’t throw the baby out with the bathwater” mentality about it (i.e. you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have… the facts of life)?

I had always assumed that people became Republican as they got older because their wealth increased, but now I’m starting to question that premise.  I mean, if I knew a schmuck who got hired at a relatively high level for a publicly traded company, I could short the stock or at least avoid buying it.  But what can you do when that happens in government?

Categories: work
Tagged: , , , ,

7 responses so far ↓

• John // September 16, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Reply

It’s a waste of our money and it makes me question who is making these decisions. It makes me question authority and pisses me off a great deal. A budget surplus at the end of the year doesn’t mean you should blow it on a new plasma TV for your office. That’s where our refunds should come from.

For example, I was on the NIH campus a couple days ago. In one of the buildings, in an untrafficked area on one of the upper floors, a brand new 50 inch plasma screen has been installed that runs a 10 minute looped DVD. The DVD itself is advertising the institute that lives on that floor. Explain that to me? You’re advertising your products to the employees that create them?!!! On a 50 inch plasma screen where no one will ever see it? THAT IS GOVERNMENT WASTE AND WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT! THIS UPSETS ME A GREAT DEAL!! WE SERIOUSLY NEED TO RECONSIDER OUR SPENDING. WE HAVE A GIANT DEBT TO CHINA AND WE ARE WASTING MONEY ON GIANT TVS THAT NO ONE WILL EVER USE!!!!

• Xdm // September 16, 2008 at 2:25 pm | Reply

A DvD? On a flat screen? Perfect timing JB! I’m writing proposals for next year. And by the way, I am actually for small government. I want everyone to have health coverage (making me lean Obama) but I know that if the government got involved it would be fubar-ed beyond all belief (making me lean McCain.) We have all seen how the gov spends money and screws things up. I don’t know what the solution is….. I’m still educating myself on all the issues. I’m a swing vote,”Me and Dot. Swingers! As in TO SWING!”

• John // September 16, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Reply

Healthcare currently is not screwed up? Did you know I had to pay $500 for preventative vaccines for my trip to Guyana (and I’m a volunteer with an relief group!!!)? Insurance only covers maladies that I actually suffer from. So until I get a potentially fatal disease, I won’t see a dime. And even from a financial perspective, that doesn’t make sense. If insurance companies subsidize the shots across the board. Inoculations mean that I don’t run a risk of racking up a $100,000 in medical bills. It is clear to me that insurance agencies could care less about their charges. They only want money and do not care about the lives affected by their lack of concern for the welfare of people paying their ridiculous premiums.

Don’t even get me started on the time I was misdiagnosed with a terminal disease…I was told it was a “pre-exisiting” condition and that it wasn’t going to be covered. How can something be a preexisiting condition if I didn’t even know I had it?!!! And the conversations I had with insurance “representatives” only got worse.

• Jon // September 16, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Reply

a for profit health care system based on a mandatory emplyer provided insurance system makes absolutely no sense. Medicare and Medicaid are like twenty five percent of the federal budget, and as a nation we already spend more per capita on health coverage than any other country in the world, by a wide margin. Why? Most of it is simply transfers to “service providers.”. Well the economics of insurance is pretty simple… The larger the pool, the greater the shared cost. Having 18 milion ununsured means no preventive care…which is far less expensive than emergency care for people who can’t pay. Having 15 subsidized hmos with mini risk pools doesn’t save anyone money, and lord knows it’s inefficient.

• Xdm // September 16, 2008 at 3:33 pm | Reply

I’ll tell you stories about my family and friends receiving care in Ireland, Canada and England. The waits (and wait lists). Same misdiagnosis issues. The minimal care because of high care costs. You want something good you still have to pay for it. or fly over here. Seriously. No easy solutions. FYI — I pay three time what you do for coverage. You really don’t pay that much. So there.

• John // September 16, 2008 at 4:37 pm | Reply

I think we should have a street fight to settle this. The person that pays the least upon exiting the hospital is the winner.

• Xdm // September 16, 2008 at 4:48 pm | Reply

I just want everyone to know that DigiClax and I have taken our dispute off of this comment board and are, as I type, Hugging it Out.